Delivering Quality and Value
The Delivering Quality and Value team aims to help local health communities and organisations improve the quality and value of care.
Focus On: high volume care
Our work is based on the concept that by focusing on a limited range of high volume HRGs (or related care groups), the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement can help the NHS make the maximum impact in improving the quality and value of care for NHS patients.
The primary aim of the team’s work has been to discover how the top performing healthcare organisations in the NHS and elsewhere deliver the highest quality care with the best resource utilisation. The full observations and outcomes for each of these 17 high volume care areas are published in a series of Focus On documents, which are designed to help local health communities and organisations to improve the quality and value of care.
The high volume care areas were selected on the basis that they were high volume, and hence high resource consumers, exhibited variability in their resource utilisation and also represented a range of clinical areas.
- Focus on: Acute Admissions in Adult Mental Health
- Focus on: Acute Stroke
- Focus on: Caesarean Section - promoting normal birth and reducing Caesarean sections
- Focus on: Cataracts
- Focus on: Cholecystectomy - day surgery
- Focus on: Emergency and urgent care pathway for children and young people
- Focus on: Fractured Neck of Femur
- Focus on: Frail Older People
- Focus on: Heart failure
- Focus on: Inpatient care for people with diabetes
- Focus on: Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the management of low back pain - radiology
- Focus on: Musculoskeletal Interface Services
- Focus on: Preparing for End Stage Renal Disease
- Focus on: Primary Hip and Knee Replacement
- Focus on: Productivity and Efficiency
- Focus on: Psychiatric Intensive Care Units
- Focus on: Short Stay Emergency Care
- Directory of Ambulatory Emergency Care for Adults
- Focus on: Sick patients with suspected cancer
- Focus on: High Volume Care Update (January 2008)
- Executive summary ( 1.91 MB)
- Initial Focus On document ( 223.28 KB)
At the end of 2008, we launched the Rapid Improvement Programme in which we have worked with over 70 NHS trusts to them improve quickly the quality and value of care for seven high volume pathways.
Latest Quality and Value Events